Sunday, June 14, 2015

WORLD ELDER ABUSE AWARENESS


Here is a different perspective on the subject.

Responsible for the situation of Elders, is Elders themselves. One can feel pity on their situation. But if anybody can help is, the Elders themselves.

We all know the whole society is created, educated and bread by the Elders only, in their prime age. The data furnished are pathetic, but Elders reach to this stage due to their behavior only.

I myself belong to the same Elder class, now aged 67 years.

I am proud to say, am positioned in the better percentage of statistics.

As per a research study conducted by Helpage India,50% of
the elderly face exploitation in various forms. Verbal Abuse
(41%), Disrespect (33%) and Neglect (29%) are ranked the
most common types of offenses against them. The number of
these cases are going up at an alarming rate.
I am a lucky father of two beautiful daughters and both of them used to fight with me since they were three; they still contiuing after 30 years. Of course I am well respected since beginning, may be progressively more with their age.

The root causes of the problems indicated by Helpage India are following
1.     The parents get children for numerous reasons. One of the prime one is;
When they have quarrel between themselves and no one is winner the anger is released on children; shouting, scolding and at times beating. The same happens when they come home frustrated of treatment on world. Due think children do not have sub-conscious brain, placed above all education and breeding.

2.     A child gets a tiny happiness, first he wants to share with his parents. At the same time we every day hear senior persons  complaining
New generation of today…………. (Separating the younger ones, as they are of other clan)

If we discard younger’s like this in our prime time; how will they react, when we are out dated.

A short storey I read when I was too young:
I couple in their prime age, brought wooden plates and cups, for their parents; as they were too old and plates used to break as they could not hold them study.
One day the couple saw their five year child, making something out of wood.
Curiously they asked, what he was doing. The reply was “I am making cup for
you, one day you will also grow old.

 I wish to share an instance happened recently with me in person:
I was travelling on a bus, as it was crowded did not get a seat and was
standing. I young girl of about 18-19 years, insistently gave me her
seat. Some other ladies were standing and that particular seat offered
was reserved for ladies. I had to get down three stops ahead. Visualizing
the situation I decided to offer the seat to another girl of about the same
age. Upon this the first girl got upset and started shouting on me. I
apologized to second girl and gave the seat to first girl. The episode
finished in good taste and it never went out of harmony.

The specific point is I never felt humiliated or insulted in the whole episode. All the time the tone of both the girls was as if they were talking (shouting) to some elder of their own family.

Concluding I would theorize WE ELDER CARVE OUR DISTNY BY SELF.


No comments:

Post a Comment